Chicken Adobo



When I was little, my mom made the best chicken adobo. Sometimes, she even made beef /pork adobo. I can still smell the scrumptious aromas of the garlic, soy sauce & vinegar being steamed for hours in the pot, it makes my tummy growl.

I grew up in the city where everything is close by, so I normally walked to school and walked home for lunch. Unlike here in the US, we had big meals at lunch and smaller meals at supper. If I could only follow that meal schedule today, I'd still be petite. :)

I used to fix chicken adobo when my kids were little, but the funny thing was, they would separated the meat from the rice and just eat the rice with adobo sauce.

And now, it has been a while since I made chicken adobo. There are so many ways to fix adobo. Some add potatoes and others cook it in a more westernized way.

The chicken adobo that I grew up eating was cooked with vinegar, soy sauce, bay leaves & a dash of peppercorns for several hours until the meat was caramelized with the sauce that had reduced after with hours of cooking.

The recipe I'm using is a little different from the classic adobo ingredients that my mom used in her recipe.



I bought chicken parts (legs, thighs, drumsticks, & wings), rinse the chicken parts and pat them dry with a paper towel. P
laced them in a flat bottom glass dish and marinated them with:

1 cup dry white wine
1 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup vinegar

1/2 cup chopped onions
2 tbsp lime juice
4 garlic gloves
3 bay leaves
2 Dried chili pepper, crushed
Pinch of pepper


Mix all the marinating ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Pour the marinate sauce over the chicken parts in a 13 x9 glass flat bottom dish, cover with plastic saran wrap and refrigerate for several hours or much better overnight.


1 tbsp cornstarch
1/3 cup of cold water


Mix the cornstarch & water in a tight plastic container. Set aside.





Heat the frying pan and brown each side of the chicken. After browning each side, place them on a plate and set aside.





Strain out the garlic, onions & bay leaves from the marinate sauce and discard them. Pour the marinate sauce into a small pot, add the cornstarch mixture, whisk gently and boil for 15 min.





Place the chicken and cooked marinate sauce into the frying pan, cover and cook for about 45 minutes until the sauce reaches its gravy like consistency & had reduced the amount of the liquid in half.





Place in a serving dish, serve with cooked rice.












http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobo_(Filipino_cuisine)


Sent from my iPad

Comments

Popular Posts