Ensaymada with Havarti Cheese


I promised myself I wouldn't bake anymore, but I broke my promise when I went to pick up a few items at the Asian market. I saw some baked goodies and asked myself how long they had been at the store sitting on the shelf.  I thought I could  bake and eat them fresh from the oven. My husband enjoyed the ensaymada and I have to stop him from eating them all in one day.

Bread Ingredients:

3- 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp salt
1 pouch rapid rise yeast
3 egg yolks
3/4 cup  warm milk
1/2 cup warm water
1/2 cup melted butter
extra flour for kneading
1 tsp sugar

Topping:
1/2 cup softened butter
1/2 powdered cup sugar
1 cup grated Havarti cheese

Dissolve the yeast, 1 tsp sugar in a warm water until yeast begins to foam about 5-10 minutes. Set aside.

In a large bowl, combine the milk, sugar, butter, egg yolks and salt. Blend well then add the yeast mixture. Add more flour to make a moderate stiff dough. Dough should be moderate to stiff and elastic.



Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for about 10 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic. Transfer the dough to a greased bowl, cover with a damp cloth or saran plastic wrap, and let it rise in a warm place for at least an hour or overnight in the refrigerator.



After rising, transfer the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Use a dough slicer to divide the dough into 4 equal parts.

Roll each part until it forms into a log. Cut each log into equal pieces. Flatten the dough with a rolling pin until it stretches into a long cylindrical shape. Roll up starting from the side all the way to the other side until it forms a small rope. Hold both ends and swing gently to elongate.


Form into ensaymada knots. Place all the shaped dough on a lightly greased baking sheet or tray lined with wax paper.


Cover the tray with a damp cloth and let it rise for 20-30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven.


 Combine melted butter and sugar. Brush all the Ensaymada with butter sugar mixture.
Top with your favorite grated cheese.

Recipe by Pinoy Cooking Recipes. 🙂

Comments

Popular Posts